Friday 22 February 2013

Lunchtime by Rebecca Cobb (Macmillan Children's Books)














If you haven't discovered Rebecca Cobb's absolutely brilliant children's books yet, you're in for a bit of a treat. "Lunchtime" is a very good starting point to introduce you to Rebecca's illustrative and storytelling style, putting you firmly in the Clarks Shoes of a little girl who is very much like Charlotte - a busy little bee who likes playing and drawing far too much to bother about silly things like mealtimes and bedtimes.

The little girl in Rebecca's story is told off by Mummy when she doesn't sit down at the table for lunch. Fortunately she has some very good (and very hungry) friends to help her out, and they soon polish off everything!

Of course, you can guess what happens next. The poor little girl gets back to playing and drawing and discovers that a rumbling tummy can growl even louder than a hungry bear, a starving crocodile or a famished wolf.

I loved Charlotte's reaction to this, a subtle nod of 'yeah that's me' which of course I couldn't disagree with (I'm sure Charlotte would secretly love three brilliant and hungry animal friends to help her out every time Daddy cooks :)

I loved this book too but what really 'got' me was the back cover, and the wolf. I won't spoil it for you but that absolutely cracked me up to pieces for some reason :)

Charlotte's best bit: She loved the idea of having three hungry friends to help out with meals

Daddy's favourite bit: That back cover. Just seek out this book and if that doesn't make you want to cuddle it, I don't know what will!

(Kindly sent to us for review by Macmillan's Children's Books)