Tuesday 15 October 2013

When I Grow Up by Patrick George (Patrick George Publishing)


When I Grow Up

Written and Illustrated by

Patrick George

Published by Patrick George Publishing

Sometimes, reviewing self-published titles is a bit like eating a bag of Revels with a blindfold on. Now I don't actually mind coffee revels, it's the peanut ones I object to - so I'm always waiting for that slightly burnt nutty taste when munching through a bag and not paying attention.

Patrick George's "When I Grow Up" - to stick with the Revels metaphor for a bit longer - is the orange creme of Revels. It's a lovely book, satisfying, beautifully illustrated and with a rather neat little twist for youngsters who love their picture books. In each spread, detailing lots of different jobs and careers little ones might want to turn their attention to when they're older, transparent pages fold over to complete a picture, neatly transforming the person into what they want to be.

Naturally, any book that features folk who want to be superheroes or astronauts always gets a thumbs up from us.

A wonderful idea. Perhaps more suited to children slightly younger than Charlotte but again, a book that she can quietly cuddle up on her own with and enjoy just as much as when she's cuddling on my lap and reading with me.

Charlotte's best bit: I Want to Be a Superhero!

Daddy's Favourite bit: I Want to Be an Astronaut!

(Kindly sent to us for review by Patrick George Publishing)