Friday 20 July 2012

Owl Babies by Martin Waddell and Patrick Benson (Walker Books)














'Owl Babies' was one of those books that I was utterly convinced I'd already reviewed for this place, so when Charlotte grabbed it in this week's library run, I was quite pleased when I realised that we had read it before but never covered it.

'Owl Babies' is the story of three adorable owls, Sarah, Percy and Bill. When Mummy Owl leaves the nest one night, the three little owls snuggle up waiting for her return. They fuss, they worry (and in little Bill's case, say "I want my mummy!" a lot). So what happens as the night draws in and mummy is nowhere to be seen?

You'll have to read the book to find out what happens, of course. Owl Babies has won many awards and it's not difficult to see why. Martin Waddell's simple story spliced with Patrick Benson's moody and dark illustrations work so well, and as you can imagine, little Bill is every child's favourite ("So cute!" says Charlotte!)

Charlotte's best bit: Bill saying "I want my Mummy!" on every page (which she repeats in a very loud owl voice)

Daddy's favourite bit: Lovely moody illustrations.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars